Connect with us


How to Become a Substitute Teacher Without Degree

How to become a substitute teacher

Teaching is primarily a graduate-level job, and having a degree and having finished a teacher training course will make it much simpler for you to get work.

However, some schools are permitted to hire non-certified teachers, so it is theoretically feasible to enter the profession without attending university-albeit the chances are stacked against you.

Obtaining a degree does not need three years of study at a university. You might enroll in a course or a series of courses designed to allow you to study for your degree while working or to earn, possibly over a more extended period if you wish to work in education but not as a teacher, various non-teaching careers to explore, such as teaching assistant positions.

Graduates and non-graduates alike can work with children and young people in nurseries, after-school and vacation groups, and creches.

How Can I Become a Teacher or Substitute Teacher Without a Degree

To teach in most state schools, you should have qualified teacher status (QTS). To acquire QTS, you must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent certification. You must also have completed a teacher training program or have been formally assessed as fulfilling the required requirements by an authorized provider this is known as the assessment-only option. The assessment-only path is appropriate for graduates with adequate teaching experience but no teacher training; nevertheless, it is unavailable to school leavers.

So, if you don’t have QTS, where can you obtain a teaching job? Private schools aren’t obligated by law to hire competent teachers, so they might theoretically hire someone who isn’t a graduate to teach, though this is uncommon. Some state institutions, such as academies and free schools, hire teachers who do not have QTS.

Studying for a degree does not have to entail three years of university attendance. If you’re unsure if traditional undergraduate education is suitable for you and would rather start working and earning money, another degree program could be a better fit. For example, you might be able to complete a foundation degree part-time over several years while working, possibly as a higher-level teaching assistant.

You could either complete your foundation degree with a full honors degree or enroll in a two-year program leading to qualified teacher status (primarily available in shortage subjects). Or work as an unqualified teacher in a private or public school and earn QTS through the assessment-only route. Alternatively, you may pursue an honors degree part-time while still working.

If you wish to be a teacher but are concerned about the expense of obtaining a degree and then completing teacher training, keep in mind that there are a variety of scholarships and bursaries available. It might be possible to get work teaching English as a foreign language in another country without a degree or a teaching certificate, but companies prefer you to have both.

After you’ve earned your degree, you can choose from a variety of work-based teacher training options. There are non-teaching positions in teaching and education and related areas that do not require a degree. In childcare, playwork, and related fields, there are various credentials available at various levels, and it is frequently feasible to train after you have begun working, with your employer covering the course expenses.

Thus, the good news is that there is a method to become a fully qualified teacher without obtaining a bachelor’s degree. Typically, this is accomplished by earning a Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training and then applying to the Society for Education and Training for QTLS. So, let’s get some abrupt overview of these things.

Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training

Significantly, the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (L5 DET) is the last level in the Education and Training Pathway, including Levels 3, 4, and 5.

Because there is a need to log 100 hours of current teaching as part of the certification, it is aimed at applicants already in a teaching/training capacity. Even though the teaching hours are optional, they must be organized lessons presented to groups.

And also, the level 5 diploma in education and training takes an average of 8 to 12 months to finish, which is a fraction of the time it takes to earn a bachelor’s degree in education at a university.

This program is also available through Train Aid for £990, which is less than a three-year university degree, which costs on average £27,000.

If you currently work in a teaching or training position, you can skip levels 3 and 4 and move right to the L5 DET.

Functional Skills

It is unnecessary to have functional skills credentials (Maths and English) to enroll in the L5 DET.

However, you must have a level 2 Maths and English certificate or Grades 4 – 9 in the new style system to apply for QTLS with the Society of Education and Training.

Please keep in mind that having a level 3 certificate is required if you wish to teach Math and English in secondary school.


Teachers and trainers with QTLS who are also members of the SET (Society for Education & Training) have been recognized in legislation as having the same status as teachers with QTS in schools since April 2012.

They can teach all topics and ages on equal salary and conditions, allowing them to advance their careers and find new jobs.

L5 DET graduates must register on the Society of Education & Training online during one of the application windows.

In general, you should set aside four months to acquire the necessary evidence for your portfolio, which will include proof from a mentor at your teaching/training institution.

Once you’ve finished, you’ll have to wait for the next application window to open, find out whether you’ve been accepted, and then get your QTLS certification.

Let’s see How to Teach Without a Teaching Degree

Obtaining a teaching certificate is far from the only method to begin teaching. You have choices whether you choose to enter the field late or want to pursue a more personalized path.

Working in a traditional institution is possible by teaching in private schools, as a substitute, or through special programs like Teach for America.

As a corporate trainer, community educator, or TESOL/TEFL teacher, you might be able to find alternative teaching opportunities. Significantly, there are many opportunities to teach overseas if you’re looking for a true adventure.

01. Finding Alternative Ways to Teach in Schools

Here, you should continue through five steps.

These are: if you have different types of degrees, consider teaching in a private school, to discover if teaching is the right job for you, substitute teach, look for programs that employ recent college graduates, work in an environment where you don’t need a teaching certificate to teach, and obtain a temporary teaching license. As an explanation.

If you have different types of degrees, consider teaching in a private school.

Search for employment openings at private schools and on the websites of organizations such as the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS). In many situations, an education degree is not required.

A bachelor’s degree or higher in a subject area may be sufficient instead. In most cases, job ads will be linked to the school calendar.

For example, before the start of the school year, there may be more vacancies in the spring or summer. Some private schools prefer professors with a Master’s degree or above.

To discover if teaching is the right job for you, substitute teach.

Make contact with your local school system and express your want to substitute.

Many will let you sign up to be on a list of possible substitute instructors, provided you have minimum requirements, such as a bachelor’s degree.

However, the compensation is frequently poor, and you never know when or for how long you’ll be hired.

Look for programs that employ recent college graduates.

Inquire about alternative teaching programs at your school’s career center. Many schools accept students with degrees in any field, but those with competence in mathematics, physics, or computer science are in great demand.

Teach for America, for example, recruits young college graduates to teach in underprivileged schools, even if they do not have a teaching credential.

A similar initiative, Teach for All, installs people in schools all around the world.

Work in an environment where you don’t need a teaching certificate to teach.

Check with your local school district to see if there are any other options for teaching there.

Some places, such as Utah, have such a teacher shortage that a degree in education is no longer required.

Instead, you are qualified for the position provided with a college diploma and can pass specific qualifying examinations.

Similarly, in Wisconsin, many vocational and professional topics can be taught without a teaching degree.

Obtain a temporary teaching license.

In some cases, if you want to be a teacher, you can begin teaching before you have all of your certifications.

If you hold a bachelor’s degree, you can acquire a temporary certificate at these places.

You must, however, enroll in an approved program and complete your certificate in a specific period.

Teacher preparation programs are offered to assist those who wish to obtain a complete teaching credential after finishing an undergraduate degree in a field other than education.

For further information, contact your local school district, college, or institution.

02. Teaching Outside of Traditional Schools

As an above method, this method also has five steps. Here you can continue through teaching TESOL or TEFL.

And, if you have a master’s degree or experience, you can teach as an adjunct at a local institution; you may usually go to your local institution and tell them you, make a career as a corporate trainer, and take charge of adult education classes.

Teach English as a foreign language (TESOL) or Teaching English as a second language. (TEFL).

In places with significant immigration rates or varied cultures, TESOL and TEFL teachers are in great demand.

You need a TESOL or TEFL certification, not a degree in education. Many schools and universities offer distinct certificate programs that may be completed in 6 to 12 months.

If you have a master’s degree or experience, you can teach as an adjunct at a local institution.

Most schools and universities currently employ many adjuncts to teach a variety of courses.

In several situations, all you need is a Master’s degree or considerable professional experience in the subject area you wish to teach.

Pay is generally minimal, and you’ll most likely just be hired for a semester. If you’re looking for some teaching experience, though, this may be a good place to start.

You may usually go to your local institution and tell them you.

Want to adjunct? If you’re qualified, they’ll add you to a pool of candidates who might be employed in a position that becomes available.

Other times, you’ll have to go to the college’s employment website and follow the procedures for applying.

There are more and more online adjunct teaching opportunities available at colleges and institutions.

Make a career as a corporate trainer.

Businesses hold seminars and training courses regularly. In many situations, they need someone who can conduct such sessions with excitement and strong communication skills, even if they aren’t a business specialist.

This might be an excellent alternate teaching option for you if you have an outgoing attitude and feel you can teach anybody anything.

Take charge of adult education classes.

Consult your neighborhood library, community college, vocational school, continuing education center, or community center for further information.

They’re frequently interested in having community members lead workshops or teach short-term programs.

Give this one a go if you’re a self-starter with a concept you’d want to pursue. You could teach things depending on your interests and experience.

03. Teaching English Abroad

In this method, you can become a member of a private tutoring firm, enroll in an exchange program and obtain a Fulbright scholarship.

Become a member of a private tutoring firm.

Find agencies that recruit people to teach English in other countries by doing a simple Internet search.

While you can do all of the preparation work yourself, utilizing an agency will make things like visas, lodging, and travel much easier to organize.

As well, Teaching English as a Foreign Language certification can be beneficial, although not always required.

Enroll in an exchange program.

Contact your school’s study abroad or foreign education office if you’re a current college student or recent graduate.

There are numerous well-known programs to select from, such as the Teach and Learn in Korea (TALK) program for South Korea and Japan’s Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) program.

They’re a fantastic opportunity to get international experience while also sharing your knowledge.

Assistant Language Teachers (ALTs), Sports Education Advisors (SEAs), and other opportunities are available under the JET program.

Obtain a Fulbright scholarship.

For application information, consult the Fulbright agency’s website as well as your college (if appropriate).

Some Fulbright scholarships go to persons with bachelor’s degrees who want to teach English in another country.

These are competitive awards. You will very certainly be required to prepare a statement of interest, get letters of reference, and participate in interviews as part of your application.

Non-Americans can also apply for Fulbright funds to get experience teaching or researching in the United States.

The bottom line

If you want to become a teacher without a degree, you need to get a bachelor’s degree that includes a teacher preparation program.

Suppose you have many years of professional experience in a career and technical education topic.

In that case, you may be eligible to substitute this expertise for the required degree and become a career and technical education teacher.

There are also “career switcher” programs for people who want to get into teaching in certain areas.

For the most up-to-date requirements and alternatives, contact your state’s teacher licensing organization.

Hi, I'm Michael, a research writer with expertise in general, education, business, finance and real estate. My goal is to share the newest updates and trends from these industries with you.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



More in Education